Be prepared to WOW your taste buds! I made some mini tarts with Nutella and topped with banana slices. After that it was on to see what else I could make with Nutella besides my spoon inserted into the container <blushing> So while sitting in the kitchen looking for inspiration I see browning bananas calling my name. I remembered seeing a recipe somewhere recently for Nutella muffins, from my good friend Becca over at It’s Yummilicious. If you want to check out her fantastic page click HERE. If you want to see all her amazing Nutella recipes click HERE.
This is a great recipe to share on Valentines Day for that special someone. Perhaps a neighbor who helps you out, your kids’ teacher, your daycare provider, or even your spouse! Imagine opening up a cute little box of this homemade treat instead of boxed candy this year!! It is quick, easy and ooey gooey bites of chocolaty deliciousness! Here is how…
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, or coconut oil; or 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup Nutella (heaping)
- 2 overripe bananas, smashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (no buttermilk? no problem, see additional notes at bottom of page)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup mini milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare two loaf pans by lining with parchment paper. Or you can just spray the tin, I use the parchment because I think it is easier to get out and makes the bread better when cooking.
- Mix oil, Nutella, and sugar in a large bowl with a stand mixer.
- Add the bananas, eggs, buttermilk, and baking soda to the Nutella mixture. Mix well.
- Slowly add flour and chocolate chips, just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.
- Top with a few mini chips or Valentine’s candy or colorful sprinkles.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Make sure to let cool before slicing
How to make your own Buttermilk:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbs vinegar
Combine ingredients and let sit for 5 minutes. Then add to recipe. That’s it!
You might also like:
- Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars (sweetheatchefs)
- Blackberry Strawberry Goddess (sweetheatchefs)
- 7-Ingredients Breakfast Nests (sweetheatchefs)
My “honey” and I love Chinese food. Specifically orange chicken or sweet & sour chicken. It takes a toll on your pocketbook if you are buying for a large family, not to mention who knows what they put into it. We decided to buy bulk at our local >cough< warehouse spot. I say cough, because these days people have been talking negatively about them. We need these Costco‘s in our life right now, so we shop there and love it. Anyway they have this really nummy orange chicken, but it simply, again, isn’t enough for us all, yes even at Costco there is something NOT big enough for us :D. I decided to try my hand at recreating something at home that would satisfy the craving, but with a twist. (1) Using something sweet for the sauce & (2) not making it spicy so my younger kids would eat it. You will love the texture of this batter as it is really light and delicate, unlike a traditional deep-fried, well, anything really. You can eat it plain or add the honey sauce.
Chicken needs to marinate for about 30-45 minutes
Fry chicken in batches so you don’t overcrowd pan and to keep oil temperature the same
Making the honey sauce
Toasting sesame seeds
1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1” chunks
Vegetable Oil for deep-frying
4 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup water
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg white
1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
2 teaspoon ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
½ cup water
1 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 teaspoon water
Handful of toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Mix all batter ingredients together until combined then add chicken and stir to coat all chicken, cover and marinate for 30-45 minutes in refrigerator.
- Heat deep fryer or large pot of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F.
- Once oil is ready, fry chicken in batches to maintain oil temperature and avoid overcrowding. Chicken bites should cook about 5 minutes to completion. Drain on a paper towel. Continue until chicken is all cooked.
- Add coconut oil, ginger and garlic to fry pan or wok and heat for about 3 minutes until aromatic.
- Add salt, honey, vinegar, and water and mix well.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of water with 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and add to the sauce.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes and sauce has thickened. Add sesame seeds on top if using.
- Serve over the top of my Coconut Rice.
1/3 c. Vegetable Oil or Coconut Oil
1/3 c. Low Fat Sour Cream
1 t. Vanilla
1 1/2 c. Whole Wheat Flour
1 T. Wheat Germ
1 T. Flax Seeds
1 t. Baking Powder
1 t. Baking Soda
1/2 t. Salt
3/4 c. Sugar
- In a large bowl combine all wet ingredients except banana.
- Mash bananas and set aside.
- In medium bowl whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet mixture stirring just until combined. Do not over mix ingredients.
- Add mashed bananas at the end.
- Fill your muffin cups 3/4 of the way full.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.