I found this idea from a friend, you can visit her page here. She had shared it on her Facebook page and I snagged it as soon as I saw it! If you don’t know I have decided to try to lose weight, and prepare for a 5K in 5 months, so I have been looking for alternative food options and low caloric fat content. Deviled eggs is so not on that list! Eggs in general are good for us, but when you add in mayonnaise (which I LOVE) it throws it back into oblivion.
Anyway, my kids all like deviled eggs too and they usually like the same old same old. I have tried making variations to no avail, they just want the “plain” way. So when I made this I didn’t even think of them, I was just thinking this would be lunch and snacks for the next 2 days. As soon as the kiddos came home they instantly saw them and wanted to try, I mean they are green right, cool color, to the yellow version. AND it is creeping up on St. Patrick’s Day, they think I am trying to be festive! I love it 😀 They all grab one and chow down…EVEN my, “I hate mayo kid”! “Hey Mikey, they liked it!” (remember that commercial?)
Needles to say my plan of snack and lunch for 2 days went down the drain at that point, but that is ok, a good fat & mayo free snack has now been added to our repertoire AND it is holiday friendly!
WIN WIN = HAPPY MOMMA = HAPPY BLOGGING = HAPPY YOU!
Click here for the original version. Read on for mine 😀
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut lengthwise
- 1 fully ripened avocado; peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 tablespoon of my Home Made Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon stone ground brown mustard
- 1.5 teaspoon Dijon mustard (recommend French’s Dijon with Chardonnay)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 of a jalapeno; seeded, ribs removed, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion ( I use the microplane)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (I use the microplane)
- Garnish: Finely diced jalapeno & dash of hot sauce on top when ready to eat (recommend Tapatio Salsa Picante)
1. In a medium sized bowl mash avocado and egg yolks until a creamy consistency.
2. Add yogurt, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper, jalapeno, onion, & garlic; mix thoroughly.
3. Spoon or pipe back into egg white shells, dividing equally. Garnish with jalapeno and hot sauce before serving. Should last 2 days, crossing fingers!
If you like this recipe you might also like: