This week in my kitchen has been a trial and tribulation week. Trial, error, success, mess, crying, laughing and doing it all over again. This recipe was no exception, including all the pictures that went with it that got erased! All I can say is if you don’t try you won’t succeed, AND make sure you read a recipe in its entirety before buying ingredients AND proceeding to make it. This recipe was adapted from one I saw recently on a blog, click here for the original version. I adapted it to fit our household and you can too. This is a healthy meal and pretty filling with just 2 meatballs served with the rice and a salad.
- 2 pomegranates (do not use pomegranate juice as it will not reduce)
- 1 clove garlic, slightly pressed
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Pecorino Romano cheese (divided)
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs or panko crumbs (divided)
- 1 cup stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts (can use pecans or walnuts instead)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg or to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped baby spinach, fine chop
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
DIRECTIONS – Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cooks for 30 minutes (or see alternate cooking method at the end)
- Halve the pomegranates and over a fine mesh strainer squeeze the juice into it until you get 1 cup.
- In a heavy (or non-stick) saucepan or skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and add a sprig of rosemary and 1 clove of garlic.When the garlic is golden brown, discard it and add wine and the pomegranate juice to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and allow to reduce over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Chop the hazelnuts and add 2 tbs bread crumbs and 1/4 cup pecorino romano cheese and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a small skillet, add the shallots and garlic and cook until translucent over low and make sure not to brown. Dump the shallot and garlic mixture into the fine mesh strainer and let set aside to let drain and cool.
- Soak the bread in broth until soft, then drain by squeezing all the liquid out, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the ground turkey with the cooked shallots and garlic, the salt and pepper, spinach, drained bread, nutmeg, egg and additional breadcrumbs as needed to firm up the mixture. Mix everything together really well.
- Allow to rest for two minutes until it firms up, making the mixture easier to shape. The consistency of the mixture should be soft and wet and hold together in a ball.
- Shape into 1″ to 1 ½” sized meatballs.
- Roll the meatballs into the hazelnuts and bread crumb mixture.
- Line a baking tray with a sheet of foil and brush with a small amount of olive oil.
- Thread the meatballs onto skewers (If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before cooking)
- Arrange the meatballs on the foil in one layer and lightly drizzle the top with a little more olive oil.
- Bake until golden brown about 30 minutes. Drizzle pomegranate sauce over the top and serve over my coconut rice and side of salad greens.
Alternate Cooking Method
You can skewer the meatballs and place over indirect heat on the BBQ. Using a medium heat cook the meatballs for approx 25 minutes, checking frequently to make sure they don’t burn. I placed them on an old cookie sheet lined with foil and oiled generously. I turned them every 5-10 minutes to avoid one side from getting too done at a time. Mine took about 30 minutes but remember all ovens & BBQ’s vary in temperature, so your cooking time might not be the same as mine. The flavor you will get from grilling these will add that much extra to the lean protein you are working with here.
This recipe is being shown at Bobbi’s Cozy Kitchen, Manic Monday Party!