1 24 oz. bag of shredded hash browns, mostly thawed
2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp pepper (or to taste)
4 tbs olive oil
1/3 cup sharp shredded cheddar, jack cheese, or pepper jack cheese
12 pieces Bacon , slightly cooked
Extra shredded cheddar
Large Muffin Tin
DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Open the hash brown bag and dump contents into a large bowl, mix in the salt, pepper, oil and 1/3 cup shredded cheese.
- Spray your large muffin tin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners.
- Divide mixture into the muffin tin cups
- Bake hash browns at 18 minutes or until desired crispiness. Keep in mind this is not the only baking they will go through so do not over cook.
- While the hash brown mixture is baking cook your bacon slices until close to being done, but still pliable, in the sense that they will bend without cracking and knowing that they will go in a hot oven to cook more. When finished drain fat on paper towel and set aside.
- Once the hash browns are finished, take them out, let cool and lower the temp of the oven to 400 degrees.
- Take your bacon 1 piece at a time and wrap around the hash brown. You can do this 1 of 2 ways. (1) remove the hash brown cup, place bacon around the cup and replace the hash brown; or (2) using a butter knife, gently separate the hash brown cup from the side of the muffin tin and place bacon strip around the cooked hash brown.
- Next crack an egg into each of the cups, my kids like to pop the yolk on this part 😀
- Add more hash brown mixture to the top of the egg covering it entirely.
- Add a sprinkle of your extra cheese
- Bake at 400 degrees for an additional 15-20 minutes (or until the eggs are as firm as you like them).
- Slide a knife along the edges to remove from pan when cooled and garnish with fresh chives.
Large muffin tins with hash brown nests
Loving my mini herb garden, my chives inspired this yummy breakfast treat!
who doesn’t love bacon? Ok, vegetarians, but in our house bacon is a staple item! MMMMMM ZIZZLE….
Bacon wrapped around hash brown nests
this is the version of removing the hash brown nest, placing bacon in and then adding back the hash brown nest
Add egg, more hash browns, and more cheese to top, before going back in the oven.
I froze some strawberries a while back because no one was eating them. i didn’t want them to go bad and you can ALWAYS use them for something. I decided to use some of my leftover Friday baking, Banana Coconut Bread to go alongside this breakfast. I used a heart cookie cutter and cut out a heart shape and halved a strawberry and placed on top of the cut out!
After it cools a few minutes, remove from muffin tin
Garnish with fresh chives and serve with a glass of nice cold sparkling strawberry apple juice!