Adapted from the Picky Palate, a great site that helped me get through prepping for my camping trip not only on food ideas, but camping with a toddler ACK! So after our camping trip I now know these walking tacos are terrific. Making sure to make what you can at home first really makes the prepping at the camp site easy peasy! This version is for at home eating, if you want the actual camping version click here.
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
2 orange bell peppers, diced
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2.5 lb lean ground turkey
Pinch of kosher salt and black pepper
1 can organic tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilis
1 cup of your favorite salsa
2 cans of beans, drained. I used black and red kidney
1 can black olives sliced
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1.5 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon hot sauce
Juice from 1 lime
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 cup masa harina
water for masa harina
6 Bags or cans of Fritos chips
1 bag shredded cheddar cheese, mexican blend
Jalapenos and/or green onions
1 lime cut in wedges
- Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Saute onion, garlic and peppers for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add ground turkey, salt and pepper. Cook until browned.
- Pour in tomato sauce, tomatoes, salsa, and stir to combine.
- Add in beans, olives, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce, lime juice, salt, pepper as needed.
- In a small bowl add masa harina and water mixing with a whisk until a thin consistency.
- Add masa mixture to meat and stir to combine.
- Add chopped cilantro and reduce heat to low to simmer until ready to serve.
- Place frito chips on plate and add chili, cheese, squeeze lime over top, dollop the sour cream, add sliced jalapenos and cilantro and dig in! Perfect for game day with a COLD ONE!!
Cooking is a messy job and always remember….
DON’T WEAR WHITE SHIRTS when preparing tomato based sauces!!!