No one wants to spend their time camping making food. The easier the better, with less mess and little prep. These walking tacos are just the thing every time! I will never go camping without taking these with us. Make sure you do all the prep work ahead of time at home, you will be so happy you did.
This version was adapted from the Picky Palate, a great site that helped me get through prepping for our camping trip not only with food ideas, but camping with a toddler (ACK!) This recipe is for camping, if you want the at home version click here. Yes you can make this on game day at home and eat tacos on the couch without the mess!
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
2 orange bell peppers, diced
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2.5 lb lean ground turkey
Pinch of kosher salt and black pepper
1 can organic tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilis
1 cup of your favorite salsa
2 cans of beans, drained. I used black and red kidney
1 can black olives sliced
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1.5 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon hot sauce
Juice from 1 lime
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 cup masa harina
water for masa harina
6 Bags or cans of Fritos chips
1 bag shredded cheddar cheese, mexican blend
Jalapenos and/or green onions
1 lime cut in wedges
- The day before camping get this made and put in a ziplock baggie, you will have a much funner and easy time cooking dinner. It takes about 5 minutes to get everything together at the camp ground!
- Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Saute onion, garlic and peppers for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add ground turkey, salt and pepper. Cook until browned.
- Pour in tomato sauce, tomatoes, salsa, and stir to combine.
- Add in beans, olives, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce, lime juice, salt, pepper as needed.
- In a small bowl add masa harina and water mixing with a whisk until a thin consistency such as pancake batter.
- Add masa mixture to meat and stir to combine.
- Add chopped cilantro and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30-40 minutes.
- Take off stove and let cool. Once cool place in ziplock baggie and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- when you are ready to serve, place chili in pot and heat up to desired temperature.
- Open bag of fritos or can and add cheese. If using the can fritos close can with lid and shake until cheese starts to melt. If using the bag, stir the cheese until it starts to melt.
- Next add the lime juice, dollop on sour cream, sliced jalapenos or green onion and top with cilantro and dig in!
- All you have for clean up is the pan you reheated the chili in!
TO MAKE AT HOME:
Could these legumes be any prettier? I could eat them just like this with a spoon! such a nutritional food for us, especially kids to help fill their bellies!
WHEN YOU GET TO THE CAMPSITE AND ARE READY TO EAT:
Camping stove with 2 pots of chili mixture, 1 without beans on left 1 with beans on right
I was lucky enough to find these cool cans of fritos. They were a little TOO full, so we pulled some chips out before adding the taco mixture. These cans rock because you can put a lid on and shake up the ingredients, or if your kids are fanatics about bugs, they can close it while they take a drink or whatever so nothing accidentally makes its way into the food 😀
Chili/Taco mixture added into frito cans
I ALWAYS say…DON’T FORGET MY LIME!!!
Lovely cilantro and sour cream to top it all off
Shake Shake Shake…
Here is proof it is GOOD!