I am convinced I was either Hispanic in my previous life or a poblano pepper. I just can’t get enough Mexican food and the spiciness that goes with it! This recipe is an adaptation from another recipe I have. If you want to make it vegetarian omit the turkey meat, it is just as tasty! I love cornbread but also like nontraditional such as with butter and honey. So baking it this way makes it seem like you are having it an entirely new way, which essentially you are. You could add black beans in this recipe instead of corn or along with the corn to make it more tex mex. This is a spicy dish, if you want it less spicy omit the jalepeno and make sure all seeds are removed. I left some seeds in and used the jalepeno, 1 of my kids was in tears it was so spicy for them 😦 I also served this over my Chipotle Lime Refried Beans. Be prepared for >hotness<
1 lb ground turkey meat
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt/pepper to taste (for ground turkey)
2 tablespoons butter
6 large, fresh green chilies; such as Anaheim or poblano, roasted, peeled and seeded
1 jalepeno pepper; roasted, peeled and seeded
1/2 cup grated Pepper Jack cheese
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Monterrey jack cheese
4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
1 can corn, drained
3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt (for cornbread batter)
- Preheat oven to Broil
- Char peppers until bubbly, brown and aromatic; about 10-15 minutes.
- Place in bowl and cover with saran wrap to “sweat” the peppers to be able to easily remove the skins.
- Once skins removed, carefully slice open and remove seeds.
- Butter an 8-inch-square baking pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Cook turkey meat with garlic and salt/pepper until cooked thoroughly.
- Place the chiles in a layer on the bottom of the pan, sprinkle 1/2 the turkey meat, top with 1/2 half the cheese, add remaining turkey meat.
- Beat the egg whites until fluffy, almost stiff.
- In another bowl, mix together the egg yolks, corn, cornmeal, flour, milk, sour cream and salt.
- Fold egg whites gently into the cornbread mixture and spoon over the cheese and peppers.
- Top with butter pats and add all remaining cheese on top
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let set for about 5 minutes and cut into sections to serve.
- Serve on top of my Chipotle Lime Refried Beans.
Prepping the peppers for charring
Peppers after sweating
Make sure your 2 year old has something to play with while you get hot pepper seeds on your hands!
De-skinned & de-seeded peppers in baking dish
on top of peppers goes the turkey meat
on top of turkey meat goes cheese, then the rest of the turkey
fluffy egg whites
egg whites and cornbread mixture added to pan, topped with butter pats
top with remaining cheese and bake, bake, bake. Enjoy the wonderful aromas that arise from your oven.