1 pound short-cut pasta with lines ( i use the pasta made with veggies)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1/2 lb. thick-cut good quality bacon, cut up in bits
1 leek, trimmed, cleaned and halved lengthwise and sliced in 1/2″ rings
1 shallot, peeled, and sliced in rings
3-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced ( I use microplane)
Black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup cooking sherry
1 pint cherry tomatoes
5 oz Philadelphia Cooking Creme, Italian Cheese and Herb flavor 1/3 less fat
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta, salt cooking water and cook pasta to al dente.
- Meanwhile, brown bacon in pan until crisp. Remove from the pan, drain on paper towel and reserve.
- Using 1 T of bacon fat, add the leeks and garlic and season with pepper. Stir until softened, then add the tomato paste and stir until well combined and thick.
- Add the cooking sherry and reduce sauce by half.
- Add the tomatoes and put a lid on the pot. Let the tomatoes burst, about 8-10 minutes. **See picture on what to do while you are waiting for cherry tomatoes to cook**
- Stir in the cheese and reduce heat to low stirring frequently until cheese is melted through.Reserve about 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water just before draining pasta, then drain and add the pasta to the sauce.
- In a bowl add pasta and top with sauce, stir until well combined. If sauce is too thick add slowly reserved pasta water until desired consistency.
- Add the bacon in and toss.
- Serve in shallow bowls topped with left over cherry tomatoes and sprig of Rosemary.
Gorgeous bounty of tomatoes!
leeks and shallots
tomatoes being added to vegetable mix
cover tomatoes and wait for them to burst open
enjoy a nice COLD drink while you wait for tomatoes
tomatoes after they burst
cheese added to pan