The smell, the texture and what peaches represent are so much a part of summer here in California. I received a ton of free peaches from a friends tree and had to get right to work making some goodies. As most of you know I am not a baker, so this is a hard thing for me to do. Muffins, cakes, cobblers…eh, just not me. However I must admit I think this cobbler took the cake in the YUM department. There is none left and I just made it last night! (HAPPY DANCE)
Do to overwhelming requests for this recipe I am putting it up sooner than I’d like. I don’t have the recipe yet for the peach amaretto jam that goes in it. COMING SOON!
6 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup strawberries, cleaned & sliced
½ cup Peach Amaretto Jam or 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup unbleached flour
Juice of 1.5 lemons
1 cup unbleached flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup rolled oatmeal
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 ounces (1 stick) butter, cold, cut in 8 pieces
SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. almond extract
2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9″ X 9″ ( i used 8×8) glass baking pan or 2 quart stoneware baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss peeled and pitted ripe peaches and strawberries with 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 flour and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a food processor combine flour, brown sugar, oatmeal and cinnamon and pulse until blended.
- Add cold butter pulsing until the butter is incorporated and looks like coarse meal.
- Spread topping ingredients evenly over the peaches and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until peaches are bubbling through and the topping is starting to brown up. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes or more before serving.
TO MAKE SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM:
1. Place a bowl and your beaters in freezer until ready to make whip cream.
2. Get hand mixer, bowl and beaters; on medium-high speed add heavy whip cream
3. As the mixture thickens, slowly add sugar until completely incorporated.
4. Add almond extract and cinnamon
5. Continue mixing until stiff peaks form
6. Add on top of cobbler and sprinkle with toasted almonds or pecans.