1 lb. Multi Grain Angel Hair Pasta
2 c. grated Mizithra Cheese
3 T. Butter, melted
2 16 oz. Cans Tomato Sauce
1 16 oz. Can Diced Tomato with Basil
1/2 Can Tomato Paste
2 Cloves Garlic, grated
1 lb. Ground Turkey
1 Onion, chopped
2 T. Oregano
1 T. Basil
2-3 shakes of Red Pepper Flakes (depending on how spicy you like your sauce)
1/2 c. Red Wine (one you would have a glass of yourself)
The best tasting tomato sauce is cooked all day long. You can cook it quickly, it tastes fine, but to get a deep rich flavor, cook it all day on low, stirring frequently.
- In a medium sized pot add; tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and stir until incorporated.
- Add garlic, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, onion, and wine. Put on a low heat and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- In a saucepan, brown ground turkey adding salt/pepper to taste. Once browned add to red sauce.
- Cook pasta according to box directions
Browned Butter Instructions:
- In a small saucepan, add 3 T. butter and melt. Cook butter on a medium low heat until brown in color (not burnt) it will have a nutty smell when it’s brown, and a burnt smell if you over cooked it. The butter will be bubbly and you will see brown bits underneath when it is ready.
Back to the recipe…
- Once the butter is brown, turn off burner and add the mizithra cheese. Stir until all butter is absorbed by cheese.
- Toss noodles in meat sauce ans top with a heaping scoop of mizithra cheese.
Meat sauce, the messier the better. I don’t think I have gotten through a batch without a mess in tow!
Shredded Mizithra cheese
Mizithra cheese added to browned butter
Mizithra cheese after being added to browned butter
I am telling you now, I could eat the browned butter mizithra with a spoon and forget the rest of the dinner! Enjoy 😀